8.25.20 – 9.30.20
10.1.20 – 10.4.20
The race is limited to 100 runners
- 10:00pm-4:00pm: Packet Pickup at Runner’s Edge
- 7:00am: Hootenanny 50k
- 9:00am: Bitterroot Runoff Start
- 6:00pm: Race Cutoff
Race day packet pick up: You must pick up your packet in the start/finish area within 30 minutes of your start time. Runners can arrive 30 minutes prior to their start time. No earlier, please. Runners can pick up their bibs and shirt when they arrive at the event. Once you park you may grab your bib and shirt, use the restroom, etc. We ask that you refrain from gathering in large groups before your race begins.
We will have multiple 50-person, 15-minute starting windows to reduce crowding. We will share more information about the starting window schedule by August 25th.
We hope to see you at the start line, but we understand things happen.
- Currently registered participants have until August 23rd to receive a 75% refund (minus processing fees) OR to defer into the 2021 event.
- After August 25th, we will be offering a 75% refund OR a deferral into the 2021 race IF we have to cancel due to COVID. There will be no refunds or deferrals under any other circumstances.
How to Process a Refund or Deferral
- Sign In to RunSignUp
- Go to “Profile”
- Click “My Registered Races”
- Click “Manage” next to the registration to manage your refund or deferral.
- A great end of the season ultra-distance trail race
- New Balance Tee Shirt
- Free Camping
- Chip Timing
- Incredible Aid Stations
- Access to a Private Trail System
Runners will have access to aid 3 times per loop.
Because of the figure-8 shape of the course, participants will hit the upper aid station two times – once at mile marker 2, and again at mile 6.5 of each lap.
At the start finish area, there will be freshly cooked food, drinks, and runners will also be able to reach their drop bags.
See the course map below for more detail.
Aid stations will provide:
- Electrolyte drink
- Energy Gels
We will have water & electrolyte drinks in disposable cups at the aid stations. Per Missoula Health Department requirements, we will not be a cupless event this year.
This event is located on a private trail network just west of Lolo, MT. Click here for a map of the parking area and start/finish line of the race.
Directions to start line from Missoula:
- Head south on HWY 93.
- At first stop light in Lolo, take a right onto Ridgeway Drive.
- Quickly take your first right onto Coulter Pine St.
- Follow along Coulter Pine for six tenths of a mile, then turn right onto Bristle Cone Pine.
- You will head through a gate and into a field where parking and the start/finish line and camping area of the race is located.
Parking is limited at The Hootenanny, please carpool if you can!
Every 50k finisher will receive a custom Hootenanny finishers award. The top male and female in the 50k will each win their weight in beer from Big Sky Brewing!
50k | 3 laps | 2025 feet of elevation gain per lap
Please note that the 50k completes three laps of the 10 mile course. The vertical profile above depicts the elevation change over one lap only.
Note that during 2018 & 2019 the Hootenanny was a 100k & 100k relay.