- 1.5.21 – 3.31.21: $90
- 4.1.21 – 5.16.21: $105
- 5.17.21 – 5.22.21 (Race Week): $120
50k Relay (The Relay is full. If you have created a team but not all 3 of your teammates have signed up, they still have until 5.22.21 to do so.)
- 1.5.21 – 3.31.21: $150 ($50/person)
- 4.1.21 – 5.16.21: $180 ($60/person)
- 5.17.21 – 5.22.21 (Race Week): $210 ($70/person)
When signing up for the relay, the first team member to register will create a team name. The next two team members can then join that team when they sign up.
We will cap the 50k at 100 participants and the relay at 75 teams (225 total participants).
There will be no refunds, bib transfers, or deferrals. If the race gets canceled due to COVID, we will offer a 75% refund or a deferral into the 2022 event.
- 10:00am-4:00pm: Packet Pickup in the Runner’s Edge Basement
- 6:30am – 6:55am 50K Packet Pick Up
- 7:00am – 7:05am: 50k start*
- 7:05am – 7:55am Relay Packet Pick Up
- 8:00am: 50k Relay start*
- 11:00am – 6:00pm: Post race meal
- 6:00pm: Course closes. (11 hour cutoff for the 50k, 10 hour cutoff for the relay. You must be starting your final lap by 2:30pm.)
*Overall awards will be based on gun time. 50k age group and Relay age division awards will be based on chip time. We will hand out awards to the top 50k & Relay runners as they finish their races, and we will send out age group and age division awards in the mail.
- Masks are required at the start line. You may remove your mask once you are able to social distance from others.
- In the base area, masks are required when you are not able to social distance from others.
- We will have a 5-minute starting window for the 50k and the start of the Relay. During the 5-minute window, you may start whenever you want. However, overall awards will be based off of gun time. Age group awards will be based off of your chip time.
We are excited to bring back the relay for 2021! Relay format will consist of 3-person teams with each runner running one lap of the Hootenanny 50k course. Each lap is 10.5 miles with approximately 2,000 feet of climbing.
- Male: 3 males
- Female: 3 females
- Coed: 1 male, 2 females or 2 males, 1 female
- Open | Male, Female, Coed: Total team age does not exceed 120 years (average age less than 40).
- Masters | Male, Female, Coed: Total team age greater than or equal to 120 years (average age greater than or equal to 40).
- Hootenanny T-Shirt
- Hootenanny Finisher Hat (50k runners)
- Hootenanny Finisher Award (Relay runners)
- Post-Race food
- Post-Race beverages from Big Sky Brewing Company
- Access to private trails outside of Lolo, Montana.
- A great start to the 2021 trail racing season!
- Because of the figure-8 shape of the course, participants will hit the upper aid station two times – once at mile 2 and again at mile 6.5 of each lap.
- Runners will pass by the base area aid station two times – once upon completion of the first lap (mile 10.5) and again upon completion of the second lap (mile 21). In addition to the base area aid station, runners will have access to their drop bags.
- Relay runners will have access to aid two times – once at mile 2 and again at mile 6.5.
Aid stations will provide:
Please note that Runner’s Edge Events are cupless races. Plan on bringing your own hydration system, water bladder, or handheld bottle. Click here to view our cupless policy.
This event is located on a private trail network just west of Lolo, MT. Click here for a map of the parking area and start/finish line of the race.
Directions to start line from Missoula:
- Head south on HWY 93.
- At first stop light in Lolo, take a right onto Ridgeway Drive.
- Quickly take your first right onto Coulter Pine St.
- Follow along Coulter Pine for six tenths of a mile, then turn right onto Bristle Cone Pine.
- You will head through a gate and into a field where parking and the start/finish line and the camping area of the race is located.
Parking is limited at the Hootenanny, please carpool if you can!
Overall & Age Group Prizes:
- All 50k finishers will receive a Hootenanny hat.
- The top male and female in the 50k will each win their weight in beer from Big Sky Brewing! Second and third-place finishers will also receive prizes from Big Sky Brewing.
- There will awards for male & female age group winners. Our age groups are: 0-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.
- All 50k Relay finishers will receive a custom Hootenanny photo.
- Prizes will be awarded to the winning teams in each division for both age groups (Open and Masters | male, female, coed).
The 50k and 50k Relay each complete three 10.5 mile loops of our figure-8 route. The course follows a combination of single and double-track trail on a privately maintained trail system.
For the first 2 miles, the route steadily climbs through open pine forests to the first aid station. The route climbs more gradually for another 2 miles before descending back towards the aid station. After a short hill up to the aid station (mile 6.5) the course is rolling downhill to mile 9. The final 1.5 miles follow rolling singletrack to end up back at the start/finish area.
To view the map, click “Load Hootenanny 50k.”
*Note that during 2018 & 2019 the Hootenanny was a 100k & 100k relay.