Registration & Pricing:
1.31.23 – 3.15.23
3.16.23 – 4.9.23 (Extended to 4.11 !)
4.12.23 – 4.16.23 (Race Day)
- 2023 Finisher’s Award
- Post-Race brunch of pancakes, sausage, & fruit (we will have gluten free pancake & vegetarian sausage options)
- Hammer Nutrition products at our Aid Station
- 2023 Bitterroot Runoff T-Shirt
- Free Post-Race Massage from Sapphire Physical Therapy
- Big Sky Brewing Co. post race beverage
- Post-race trail festival with vendors, shoe demos, and raffle
- The perfect start to kick off trail racing season in Western Montana!
2023 Bitterroot Runoff shirt (women’s on left, men’s on right)
- 12:00pm – 5:00pm: Packet pick up in the Runner’s Edge basement
- 7:00am – 8:50am: Race day packet pick up and race day registration
- 8:00am: 5k Start
- 8:30am: 5 Mile Start
- 9:00am: 10 Mile Start
- 8:00am – 12:30pm: Bitterroot Runoff trail fest with shoe demos and vendors
- 8:30am – 12:30pm: Post race pancake breakfast
- 9:30am: 5k Awards Ceremony
- 10:30am: 5 Mile Awards Ceremony
- 11:30am: 10 Mile Awards Ceremony
*We start the shorter events first to limit congestion on the course.
- Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female overall as well as to the top male and female in each age group.
- Our age groups are: 0-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.
- Overall awards will be based on gun time, age group awards will be based on chip time.
For the 10 Mile race, runners will pass by the same aid station at miles 2 and 6.5. Runners in the 5 Mile race will have one aid station at mile 2. There will be no aid station for the 5k.
See the map below for aid station location.
Aid stations will provide:
10 Mile Course | 2,025 feet of Climbing
The 10 mile route follows double and singletrack trail, climbing for 2 miles up to the first aid station through open ponderosa pine forest. After the aid station, the grade lessens before runners join up with “The Viking” trail, which leads to the highpoint of the course at mile marker 4. From the highpoint, the route descends back to the aid station (mile 6.5), allowing runners a second chance for water and food before the final push to the finish.
5 Mile Course | 1,000 feet of Climbing
The 5 mile course will climb the first 2.5 miles on both double and singletrack trail, reaching an aid station at mile marker 2. After the aid station, runners will take a right hand turn and begin the descent back to the finishing area. The course winds down the “Owl Alley” singletrack section before popping out of the trees and into the finishing meadow.
5k Course | 500 feet of Climbing
The 5k route follows doubletrack road and a singletrack trail along both the 5 mile and 10 mile courses for the first mile. The 5k course then takes a right turn onto a flatter section of doubletrack before rejoining the 5 mile and 10 mile courses for the final mile of singletrack trail to the finish line. Most of the climbing for the 5k is in the first mile of the race.
To view the map, click ‘Load Bitterroot Runoff 5k, 5 Mile & 10 Mile.’ To toggle between the distances, select the course distance from the upper left hand corner of the map.
This event is located on the Rossignol Ranch just west of Lolo, MT. Click here for a map showing the parking area and start/finish line of the race.
Directions to start line from Missoula:
- Head south on HWY 93.
- At the first stoplight in Lolo, take a right onto Ridgeway Drive.
- Quickly take your first right onto Coulter Pine St.
- Follow along Coulter Pine for six-tenths of a mile, then turn right onto Bristle Cone Pine.
- You will head through a gate and into a field where parking and the start-finish area of the races are located.
Parking is limited, please carpool if you can!
We are working hard to create a festival experience for our Runoff Runners this year and we are so excited to have over a dozen vendors and partners joining us on race day to engage with our runners, demo products, and contribute to our BIG Runoff Raffle.
We have A LOT of great prizes, including free pairs of shoes, socks, sunglasses, hats, hydration, and nutrition goodies. The raffle will be held directly after the 10 Mile Awards Ceremony at 11:30 AM
How to get raffle tickets? Each vendor will be giving out tickets at their tent. The more vendors you visit, and products you demo, the more tickets you will have in the pot for the raffle. It’s that simple!
Lastly, while we would love for you to stick around for the raffle, you do not need to be present to win.
Bitterroot Runoff Training Run – Cancelled Due to Snow
Due to excessive snow on the course, we’ve chosen to cancel the Bitterroot Runoff Training Run that was schedule for Sunday, April 9th. We are sad to miss the training runs this year, but looking forward to seeing everyone on April 16th.
We are always looking for volunteers to help out at our races! Whether it is with parking, packet pick up, or working an aid station, there are a wide variety of roles which you can be a part of. Thank you for taking the time to make our events possible–we are forever grateful to our volunteers!
Sign up to volunteer here.
Volunteers will receive:
- $15 Runner’s Edge gift card
- Bitterroot Runoff t-shirt
- Post race brunch