Sign up here!
4.20.21 – 6.6.21
- 5 Mile | $40
- 10 Mile | $50
6.7.21 – 6.30.21
- 5 Mile | $45
- 10 Mile | $55
7.1.21 – 7.10.21
- 5 Mile | $50
- 10 Mile | $65
We will be offering race day registration during packet pick up between 7:00am and 8:15am.
This event is limited to 400 total participants.
There will be no refunds, bib transfers, or deferrals. If the race gets cancelled due to COVID, we will offer a 75% refund or a deferral into the 2022 event.
- Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female overall as well as to the top male and female in each age group. Our age groups are: 0-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.
Overall awards will be based on gun time, age group awards will be based on chip time. We will send out age group awards the week after the race.
- 12:00pm – 6:00pm: Packet pick up in the Runner’s Edge basement
- 7:00am – 8:15am: Race day packet pick up and race day registration
- 7:30am – 7:40am: 5 Mile Starting Window
- 8:30am – 8:40am: 10 Mile Starting Window
- 8:30am – 11:30am: Post Race Breakfast
- 8:45am: 5 Mile Awards Ceremony at Start/Finish Area
- 10:30am: 10 Mile Awards Ceremony at Start/Finish Area
If you’d like to be eligible for overall awards, you must start with the gun. Age group award winners may start whenever they prefer within the 10 minute window.
For the 10 Mile race, runners will pass by the same aid station at miles 2 and 6.5. Runners in the 5 Mile race will have one aid station at mile 2. There will also be food and drink at the finish area. See the map below for aid station locations.
Aid stations will provide:
This event is located on a private trail network just west of Lolo, MT. Click here for a map showing the parking area and start/finish line of the race.
Directions to start line from Missoula:
- Head south on HWY 93.
- At the first stoplight in Lolo, take a right onto Ridgeway Drive.
- Quickly take your first right onto Coulter Pine St.
- Follow along Coulter Pine for six-tenths of a mile, then turn right onto Bristle Cone Pine.
- You will head through a gate and into a field where parking and the start-finish area of the races are located.
Parking is limited, please carpool if you can!
10 Mile Course | 2,025 feet of Climbing
The 10 mile route follows double and singletrack trail, climbing for 2 miles up to the first aid station through open ponderosa pine forest. After the aid station, the grade lessens before runners join up with “The Viking” trail, which leads to the highpoint of the course at mile marker 4. From the highpoint, the route descends back to the aid station (mile 6.5), allowing runners a second chance for water and food before the final push to the finish.
5 Mile Course | 1,000 feet of Climbing
The 5 mile course will climb the first 2.5 miles on both double and singletrack trail, reaching an aid station at mile marker 2. After the aid station, runners will take a right hand turn and begin the descent back to the finishing area. The course winds down the “Owl Alley” singletrack section before popping out of the trees and into the finishing meadow.
To view the map, click ‘Load Bitterroot Runoff 5 & 10 Mile.’ To toggle between the 10 mile and 5 mile distances, select the course distance from the upper left hand corner of the map.
- If you are feeling sick or if anyone in your home is exhibiting Covid symptoms, please stay home.
- Masks are no longer required at the event. However, if you are not vaccinated we highly recommend you wear a mask when you cannot socially distance from others.
- We will offer a rolling start window of 10 minutes so that race participants can spread out and limit congestion. Our events are chip timed, so your time will begin when you cross the start mat. You, however, must start with the gun if you are competing for top 3 overall awards.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided in the start finish area and at aid stations for runner’s use. Aid stations will be set up in a way to limit congestion and contact as much as possible.
- We will offer a post race meal of pancakes and sausage links that our volunteers will hand out. Condiments will be self serve; please use hand sanitizer before touching these shared surfaces.
- Finally, we respect each and every persons right to feel safe. If you feel uncomfortable at any time we support you in your decision to wear a mask and stay distant from others at our event.
We are always looking for volunteers to help out at our races! Whether it is with parking, packet pick up, or working an aid station, there are a wide variety of roles which you can be a part of. Thank you for taking the time to make our events possible–we are forever grateful to our volunteers!
Sign up to volunteer here.
Volunteers will receive:
- $15 Runner’s Edge gift card
- Bitterroot Runoff neck gaiter
- Bitterroot Runoff spork
- Post race brunch