Welcome to Missoula’s longest running trail race! With 2,000 feet of elevation gain in only 1.5 miles, this course is short, steep, and ends on the proud summit of Mount Sentinel. After the race, enjoy Big Dipper Ice Cream at the M-Trailhead amphitheater.
2.28.23 – 4.18.23
- Sentinel Hill Climb – $25
- Kid’s M Trail Climb – Free
4.19.23 – 5.3.23
- Sentinel Hill Climb – $30
- Kid’s M Trail Climb – Free
This event will be limited to 250 runners.
There will be no refunds, deferrals, or bib transfers.
- Big Dipper Ice Cream
- Chip timing from Competitive Timing
- Hammer Nutrition products at the finish
- $100 cash to the first place male and female. To be eligible for the overall win and cash prizes, you must start in the elite wave. Our top 3 men and women will be based on gun time, not chip time.
- $50 premium to the first male and female to the ‘M’ (must finish race to be eligible).
- Age group winners will win a gift card to Big Dipper Ice Cream.
- Age groups: 0-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
Wednesday, May 3rd
- 5:00PM: Packet Pick Up at M Trailhead
- 5:45PM: Kids Run Start
- 6:00PM: Elite Start*
- 6:02PM: Wave 1 Start
- 6:04PM: Wave 2 Start
- 6:06PM: Wave 3 Start
- 7:30PM: Awards Ceremony at the base area
*Elites – We are excited to bring together some of Western Montana’s best hill climbers to battle it out at the Sentinel Hill Climb. Elite qualifying standards are sub-24 minutes for men and sub-30 minutes for women. You will receive an invitation to the elite heat after registration. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sentinel Hill Climb starts at the base of Mount Sentinel in the ‘M’ Parking Lot on the University of Montana Campus.
- Parking is available in the ‘M’ Trail Parking Lot and is limited. Surrounding lots require a University parking pass. Please carpool if you can.
The Kids ‘M’ Trail Climb (Free!)
Starting 15 minutes before the Sentinel Hill Climb, the Kids Run goes from the base area to the M (0.6 miles with 600 feet of climbing). After finishing their run at the M, kids will stick around and cheer on the Sentinel Hill Climbers as they make their way up the mountain. Once all the runners have passed by, the kid’s racers will make their way to the base area and celebrate with Big Dipper Ice Cream.
We’ll have a group of folks from Big Dipper Running making sure the kids go the correct way and know when to head down.
Registration is free!
Runners vs. Cyclists Challenge
Runner’s Edge and MTCX are going head to head with a Runners vs. Cyclists challenge at the Hill Climb this year! Historically, this race has seen incredible athletes from both a running and cycling background put up the fastest times. This year, we’re pumped to turn this rivalry into a scored race between the two businesses. Each business will hand pick their teams and we’ll score the results similar to cross country.
How scoring works:
- From each team the scorers will be the top 3 men, the top masters man, the top 3 women, and the top masters female.
- Scores will be the sum of each runner’s gender place.
- 8 total runners score from each team.
- Low score wins. Tie-breaker will be settled with fastest average time of all scoring runners.
- Losing business donates to the non-profit of the other business’s choice.
This demanding course gains 1,970 feet in only 1.6 miles, beginning from the ‘M’ trail parking lot and finishing on the proud summit of Mount Sentinel. The first 1/3 of the climb follows the ‘M’ trail while the remainder follows the Northwest ridge trail to the summit.
To view the map, click “Load Sentinel Hill Climb.”
- 2011 Overall Results
- 2012 Sentinel Hill Climb | ‘M’ Trail Trot
- 2013 Overall Results
- 2014 Overall Results
- 2015 Overall Results
- 2016 Overall Results
- 2017 Overall Results
- 2018 Overall Results
- 2019 Overall Results
- 2020 Overall Results (Virtual)
- 2021 Overall Results | Virtual Results
- 2022 Overall Results
Friends of the ‘M’ Trail:
The Sentinel Hill Climb is conducted solely on University of Montana property. If you would like to support UM’s efforts to work with the broader Missoula community in providing stewardship and maintenance of Mt Sentinel’s much-loved and much-used trails, please consider making a donation in any amount to the Friends of the ‘M’ Trail. Your donation is entirely tax deductible.
Learn more about The Friends of the ‘M’ Trail and opportunities to help HERE.
Please email email@example.com