The Runners Edge 1st Annual Halloween Bingo Scavenger Hunt

What: A Halloween bingo scavenger hunt! Starts at Runners Edge at 5:45pm. The first 50 people to show up receive an Amphipod Pumpkin Vizlet (ok, so what the heck is a VIZLET?!). 

When: Friday, October 30th

Where: Starts at the Runners Edge, ends at the Dram Shop (229 East Front Street)

Start Time:  5:45pm at RE. We will start the scavenger hunt ~6pm. The estimated arrival at the Dram Shop will be 7pm.

Some Spooky Suggestions:
1. Please arrive no earlier to RE than 5:15pm for this scavenger hunt. We will not let you in 😉 The first 50 people after 5:30pm will receive a vizlet.

2. There will be a PRIZE for the best Halloween costume so come dressed in your spookiest, most creative attire!

3. We will explain all rules once you arrive but be prepared to run, walk, jog, creep or crawl around town. You will have an hour to find everything listed on the bingo card.

4. Speaking of PRIZES – We will be awarding the top 3 teams from the scavenger hunt! 

5. How many people can participate? EVERYONE! How many people can you have on your team? 2-22. Doesn’t matter to us! Just get ready to have some creepy, crawly, ghostly fun! 

Questions? 
Please email Meg (meg@runnersedgemt.com)

We can’t wait to see you Friday!

We think Mark embodies the qualities of a true runner. Not only is he a hard worker, dedicated and is motivated towards any goal he sets out, Mark is one of the nicest people you’ll meet. He’s supportive, thoughful and we believe he’s great addition to our running community. Thanks, Mark, for all you do!

Name: Mark Burke

Hometown: Missoula; I’ve been here 24 years. I’ve lived in the Azores, Illinois, Washington, Arizona & Texas before moving to Montana.

Miles Run Per Week: 15 – 40 depending on what i’m training for. I supplement my running with mountain biking, hiking and strength training.

What Age Did You Start Running: 39. I played tennis in high school and college, racquetball in my 20s, mountain biking in my 30s then started running. After I started running I got into triathlons and have since completed two Ironman triathlons.

Currently Training For: 2016 Masters National Outdoor Track Championships in the steeplechase next July. I started doing steeplechase two years ago and discovered my various abilities seem to all come together for this event!

Favorite Race or Run: I should say steeplechase because I’ve had a lot of success, but it’s also the most painful event I’ve ever done. I’m going to have to say running any trail in the hills and mountains of Montana.

Do You Prefer to Run Solo or With a Group? I end up doing most of my runs alone due to time constraints. I love running with my wife and a few friends.

Favorite Running Memory: Last year we were in Vail for my wife’s hip surgery. On a cool fall morning I ran up the Berry Picker trail to the top of one of the Vail the ski lifts. The views were beautiful, the weather was perfect and it was a very challenging run.

Favorite Thing to do Other Than Running: Hiking in Glacier NP! I’m really enjoying strength training with Mike Rankin at the Peak as well. That training has really helped my running and because of the conditioning I had some success at the Spartan race last year and love it! I want to do more this year.

Words of Wisdom: Keep trying new things, stay active, encourage others to have active lifestyles. Whatever races and events you do, make sure to you’re enjoying the training!

Anything Else You’d Like to Add: Thank you to Runners Edge and Run Wild Missoula for creating such a positive and thriving running community! And also thank you to Courtney Babcock (Key Running) for coaching my steeplechase training!

The 20th Annual Pumpkin Run will be Sunday, October 18th at the Osprey Baseball Stadium. 

Race Day Schedule

Race day registration – 8:45 am
400 meter kids run – 9:45 am
5K – 10:09 am

Race Day Registration

• 5k – $15
  • 400 Meter Run – $4 for kids 12 and under (RWM discount does not apply)

For more race details and to save a little money for pumpkin muffins,
please pre-register online at runwildmissoula.org.

Where Do The Proceeds Go?

Half the proceeds from the Pumpkin Run will go to the Missoula Food Bank. New this year, half the proceeds will go to the University of Montana Lommasson Center Solar PV Array project. This way the run can help fund the immediate and long term needs of the community.

Now to the most important part of the race: who is the overall winner? Past year’s winners have tended to be prime numbers (double meaning intended here). Since this is the 20th year, the High Pumpkin Council decreed that the number 20 be factored in somehow. After much consultation with available teenagers, it was decided that 7 is lucky, 7 is prime, and since 7 x 20 = 140, the overall winner of the race and receiver of great prizes is the 140th person to cross the finish line. Please, as part of the honor system and our desire for a fair event, do not try to calculate your position in the race while using a calculator.

Hope to see you in October!

Benjamin Schmidt 
Race Director

Meet the newest member on our staff, Forrest Boughner. Forrest comes with prior experience from working at Run Flagstaff, a specialty run store located in (yep, you guessed it) Flagstaff, AZ. He also raced competitively in college at Birmingham-Sourthern College in Alabama. Welcome, Forrest. We’re excited to have you part of our team!photo

Name: Forrest Boughner

Hometown: Flagstaff, AZ

Currently Living: Yes

Miles Run Per Week: 70

Currently Training For: US Sky Running Championships and the US Snowshoe Championships

Favorite Race or Run: I love “running” ridgelines. It’s technically engaging and anytime I need a break there are plenty of great views.

Favorite Activity Outside of Running: Reading (closet nerd)

Do You Prefer Running on Roads or Trails? Trails! (and beyond)

Run Solo or With A Group? One or two good friends.

Words of Wisdom: Keep it fun. It’s too easy to take running beyond the point of joy. If you’re not going to enjoy running then why live in Montana?

Anything Else You’d Like to Add: I hiked 3100 miles of the Continental Divide Trail with my wife. Nothing says blisters like southern New Mexico.

Name: Alan McCormick

Hometown: Radford, VA, though after 22 years in Montana, it might as well be Missoula.

Currently Living: Missoula, MT

Miles Run Per Week: I like to average 20-30. More if I’m training for something specific, less whenever someone uses the words “pizza” and “beer” in a complete sentence.

Currently Training For: I’ve wanted to do the Sweathouse Half Marathon in September, but have an above-average aversion to training in the summer heat. The Spokane Half in October is a more realistic goal. It’s time to address my mild disdain for hills.

Favorite Race or Run: The Missoula Marathon and Half Marathon. I’ve run each twice. Few things are as exhilarating as making that final turn onto the Higgins Bridge, seeing the crowd, and finding one last kick to the finish line. Plus it’s not just a race. It’s an entire weekend of camaraderie with runners from around the world who get to experience the community I enjoy every day.

Favorite Thing to do (Other Than Running): In my spare time I am a beer writer covering the Montana brewing industry at my own site and for the Rocky Mountain Brewing News. People have a strong connection with their local breweries and I enjoy telling their stories.

What Age Did You Start Running: 40. I spent my first 39 years making snide comments about runners. It’s odd, but I got into running specifically because I hated it. With age 40 approaching, I made a commitment to improve my fitness. It turns out it’s a proven scientific fact that no reasonable person can endure an elliptical machine for more than six minutes. I kept eyeing the treadmill despite flashbacks to forced runs during high school soccer. I decided I had to kick running’s tail. Six months later I ran my first race, the 2010 Missoula Half Marathon.

Words of Wisdom: With running, I alone am responsible for my successes and failures and no one else gets to tell me how to feel about either.

Anything Else You’d Like To Add: We are fortunate in Missoula to have Run Wild Missoula and the Runner’s Edge. Many running clubs and stores preach inclusion, but Run Wild and Runner’s Edge deliver the goods. Every runner and walker from the elites to the beginners gets the same level of respect and assistance and I am a grateful recipient of that.

As runners we cherish exploring beautiful trails, running with friends and testing our limits. When we decide to become parents, part of us becomes afraid that we will lose not only our identity as a runner but also our freedom, dreams and goals. In this month’s coaching article, I relay my experience how I overcame diversity to rekindle my running passion and spirit.

Running Mama: An interview with Nicole Hunt
By Jessie Thomasnicole1

Nighttime and early morning wake ups, playdates, consoling big emotions, virus swapping, meals to make, lunches to pack, diapers, driving young people hither and yon, homework to help with, piles of laundry, teeth to brush, and late nights prepping so the next day doesn’t eat your lunch before it even starts. This is just a small list of the responsibilities parents are subject to on a daily basis. It’s enough to derail the training and racing aspirations of even the most disciplined human. Dear parents, take heart. Nicole Hunt, mother and homeschooler to 3 boys (6 yr old Eon and 3 yr old twins, Roam and Ember) answers a few questions about training, racing, coaching, and living the life you want as a parent and competitor. Nicole is a wealth of information on and off the trails. 1. What was your training and racing before children. Before children, my goal was to try to qualify for another mountain running team. I trained about 60 to 70 mpw with 3 hard workouts per week. I did drills, circuit training, mountain biking up hills hard, xc skiing for the sole purpose of becoming a faster runner. I trained outside nearly every workout and I ran in the mountains just about every weekend when weather permitted. I traveled and competed all over world including Russia, Siberia, Czech Republic, Austria, Nigeria, Turkey, Slovenia, China and South Korea. I felt I was in the best shape of my life at age 36 and even set a few road PR’s at that age, 1 year before becoming pregnant.

To continue reading please click on this link below.
Montana Trail Crew