Name: Chris Kollar

Hometown: Strongsville, OH

Number of Years Running: 14 years

Did You Run in College? Yes, I ran cross country and track for the North Carolina State Wolfpack and Coach Rollie Geiger.

How Many Miles Per Week Do You Run? Depends on where I’m at in the training cycle. This week I will run around 120 miles.

Currently Training For: North Face Endurance Challenge 50 mile

Favorite Race (or Run): My favorite run goes through North Hills on the Froehlich Trail.  It is the perfect single track trail.

Words of Wisdom: Be patient and figure out what works for you.

Favorite Quote: If you don’t go when you want to go, when you do go, you’ll find you’ve gone.

Anything Else You’d Like To Add: I would like to thank Run Wild Missoula and the Runner’s Edge for supporting the Missoula teams at the Montana Cup.

*Side Note: Congrats to Chris for his stellar performance recently at the Montana Cup! Missoula took home 4 trophies and Chris ran away with the number one spot! Nice job Chris! Welcome to Missoula!

Come join The Runners Edge for our 2nd Annual Holiday Race in Greenough Park!

Click here to register!

This evening race features festive luminaries around the course, holiday music, Christmas lights, and a bonfire at the finish area. Each participant receives a free Buff Reflective* (retails at $20) to keep them nice and bright during the dark winter months. Christmas cookies, hot cocoa & toddies served at the finish!

• Race begins at 6:30pm on December 16th. Early registration ($20) ends December 14th.
  • Late Registration ($25) on Thursday, December 15th.
  • Race Day Registration ($30) also available from 5pm to 6pm at the Greenough Park picnic shelter on December 16th.

Limit 200 participants

*Not sure what a Buff is? A Buff is a multifunctional headwear piece; it can be used in 12 different ways (think hat, balaclava, neck warmer). Perfect for being outdoors and can be used for more than just running.

Last year participants received a free Princeton Tec Headlamp. We didn’t want to double up on headlamps for those who raced last year but we do encourage all participants to wear a headlamp because it’s pretty dark out there!

Name: Meaghen Brown

Number of Years Running: um… 1ish? I started running during my junior year of college- old dirt farm roads through a landscape seriously lacking in mountains (Vermont). I was reading a lot of biology at the time and got sort of hooked on the theory that apparently humans are anthropologically designed to run. For the past six months I’ve been running monotonous circles around New York City’s Central Park, but now that I’m back in the West, I’m falling seriously in love with trails.

Currently Training: To keep up with Mike Foote. That’s probably goal enough for now.

Words of Wisdom: Knowing how to read a map is a very good thing.

How Many Miles Per Week Do You Run: I’m starting to loose count…

Where Do You Like To Train: On trails. Any trails. Though I’ve always had a thing for old burns.

Favorite Quote: “We die, containing a richness of lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have plunged into a swum up as if rivers of wisdom, characters we have climbed into as if trees, fears we have hidden in as if caves. I wish for all this to be marked on my body when I am dead. To be marked by nature, not just to labeled on a map like the names of rich men and women on buildings. We are communal histories, communal books. We are not owned or monogamous in our taste or experience. All I desire is to walk upon such an earth that has no maps.”

Anything Else? I may be a geographer, but I have an absolutely terrible, and I mean terrible sense of direction.

*Side Note: Congrats to Meaghen for her incredible first place performance at the Blue Mountain 30k recently! She now is the course record holder for women – nice run!

Great job to everyone who participated in the Heart Run last weekend!  We love how many people come out and support these events!

Results

Name: Mike Foote

Number of Miles Per Week: A lot

Currently Training For: Montana Cup (Oct 29th)!

Favorite Place to Run: It’s a toss up between Woods Gulch in the Rattlesnake and the French Alps.

How Long Have You Been Running? I started running as a freshman in college to get rid of stress from school.  When I moved to Missoula in 2004 I started trail running quite a bit.  In 2009 I signed up for my first 100 Miler and have been running ultras since.

Words of Wisdom: When in doubt, bring your bearspray

Favorite Quote: (latest favorite) “Begin at the beginning, and go on till you reach the end.  And then stop.” ~ The king in Alice & Wonderland

Anything Else You’d Like To AddI’m single!

Side Note: Mike, we are so proud of you for coming in 11th at the Ultra Trail du Monte Blanc and being the first American to cross the finish line at this 100 mile race in France! If you don’t know Mike, he’s a dedicated athlete who works extremely hard. He’s also pretty humble so you won’t hear him talking about his current successes. Great job, Mike!

Well, we’d like to win the Montana Cup this year! Montana Cup is a cross country race and teams are taken from the seven major cities in Montana. There is a masters, open and junior division and the race rotates between each of these cities every year. Missoula’s had a history of winning in the past but with the last race in Billings, we had a weak showing. This year the race takes place in Great Falls and Missoula needs to show the rest of Montana who has the best runners! Interested? This race is for all levels and we’d love to see you there!

MT Cup Sat 10/29/11 in Great Falls, MT

·         For any details left out below & for registration, click HERE

·         Men run @ 12pm & Women run @ 1pm

·         Distance of race will be between 5K & 8K

·         Race will be run @ Anaconda Hills Course in Black Eagle

·         Bus transport will be provided & cost will be $10 per person

·         Race will be scored in traditional cross country method

·         Each of 7 MT towns are represented & competing against each other

·         Although only the first 5 on each team score & top 7 count for place – participation is open & unlimited

·         There will be workouts tailored to MT Cup event
(Friday @ 12pm @ Kim Williams 4th Street trailhead, Tuesday Track & Saturday morning runs from the RE)

·         Please direct questions to Meg Lerch, Anders Brooker, Pat Cross, Jenny Newton, Andy Tucknott, or the Runners Edge